“New” Pesto made with basil and spinach is perfect for pasta or any veggies.
I wanted to make a real pesto for a long time, but it turned out my way. This is –> NEW Pesto that I just made with couple new ingredients. I went to the store the other day and I knew that I have to get 3 ingredients needed for this recipe. I had already olive oil and basil leaves in my fridge from my friend’s garden. Therefore, I just needed pine nuts, Parmesan and garlic.
I bought garlic and then I went to the store to get pine nuts. Once I saw the price of pine nuts I was amazed how expensive they are. I thought maybe I can switch my recipe a little and buy blanched almonds that were laying down next to pine nuts at the store. I decided almonds it is!
Then I went to the other store to get Parmesan cheese and I couldn’t find it. Next store, they didn’t have it. I thought how hard it is to get Parmesan cheese in a brick form. I didn’t have a luck to find it. After third store I said I have to get another cheese. So I got Parmigiano Reggiano.
Once I got home I wanted to make right away my pesto. I got my basil leaves and I looked at them and most of them had brownish spots already. I was unhappy. I thought maybe I should go and buy a new bunch, should I make less pesto or should I use something else instead of basil leaves. Some of them were ok, so I saved them.
Then I looked into my fridge and I was thinking what to do. I saw few spinach leaves at the back at the fridge. I’ve decided to give it a try. YUM! The recipe came out so delicious and we ate it in few days all —> 2 jars!
I just want to make a statement this is not traditional pesto. I don’t want to convince anybody that this is real Italian pesto. It’s new recipe and I love it!
- 3/4 cup blanched almonds
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 3/4 cups Parmigiano Regianno, finely shredded
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 (250 ml) jars
- Preheat oven to 350 F. and lay almonds on baking sheet. Bake for about 5 - 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool off.
- Place almonds, basil leaves, spinach leaves, Parmigiano Reggiano and garlic into food processor. Pulse on low speed and blend. In the end add olive oil. If the pesto will be to dry, add a little more olive oil. Store pesto in jars. Refrigerate.
If you like Basil Spinach Almond Pesto see..