Healthy vegetarian black bean Mexican inspired soup with corn, onions and spices. This is the soup that you want to make!
While winter season is approaching I am looking for more soup ideas that are healthy and easy to make. I always loved Mexican food and I cook a lot Mexican inspired dishes. I can honestly say I am not authentic or expert in Mexican food so please don’t judge me:) However, I love it and I make it …period. Importantly, the healthy Mexican soup that I have for you has so many benefits. It includes black beans and we know they are high in protein, they also strengthen the bones and lower blood pressure. Moreover, they are packed with many nutrients and vitamins like iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc. We should include more black beans in our diet.
How to Make Mexican Soup
Firstly of all, gather all ingredients: oil, onions, garlic, red paprika, tomato paste, corn and black beans. Get also spices that are perfect for this soup: [easyazon_link identifier=”B01KKUH818″ locale=”US” tag=”ilospas-20″]cumin[/easyazon_link], chili powder, sweet paprika,[easyazon_link identifier=”B00IZL255O” locale=”US” tag=”ilospas-20″]Himalayan Salt,[/easyazon_link] and pepper. Secondly, saute diced onions and garlic. Add red paprika, tomato paste, corn and spices. In the end add water and black beans.
Tips to Make Black Bean Soup
- It is crucial to saute onions alone without garlic because they need longer time to cook than garlic. You don’t want to burn your garlic.
- Add black beans in the end together with water. You don’t want them to be mushy in this soup.
- Add more chili powder if you need a stronger kick.
Sides for Soup Party
To create a soup party for your guests consider adding more toppings in separate bowls including
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- shredded cheese (any kind)
More Yummy Soups for Gatherings
Black Bean Mexican Soup
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 small onions diced
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 4 cups water
- 1 can black beans 398 ml
- In a large pot heat oil, add onions. Saute on low-medium heat for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and red pepper, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, salt, cumin, chili powder, sweet paprika and pepper. Saute for 2 - 5 minutes on low heat, mixing often.
- Add corn, water and black beans. Cook covered on low-medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve with greek yogurt, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeno or cheese.