Delicious and healthy borscht soup. I love beets in any recipe. They are perfect for soup.. but also as a side with potatoes and meat. I will mostly post more recipes with beets in the futures..fried..shredded.. any kind:) This borscht soup can be easily done as vegetarian version, just omit chicken in this recipe. Use only water and vegetables. I am using lots of different kind vegetables in this soup, so vegetable stock will form.
About that chicken stock.. I never buy chicken stock at store I always make from scratch.. we just need chicken leg, vegetables and salt. Pepper can be added for additional flavor.
- 1 chicken leg
- 11 cups water
- 1 beets bunched about three beets in one bunch
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 celery stick
- 2 medium sized carrots
- half onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 19 oz 540 ml can red kidney beans
- In large pan cook chicken leg for 40 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove stems from beets; wash them and dice them; set aside for now
- Peel three beets and dice them; add to water, cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Peel potatoes and carrots. Dice: potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Add all vegetables to the borscht: potatoes, carrots, celery, stems and half the onion. Add salt and pepper.
- Cook everything on low heat about 40 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add drained kidney beans and parsley, cook for 5 minutes.
Do not overheat borscht; it will become brown rather than red.
Check out this yummy Broccoli Cheddar Soup: