Recently I ate a beef barley soup at Canadian Tim Horton. I usually eat potato – bacon or broccoli cream soup there. Whenever I’m in any restaurant I eat always the same food. I’m not sure why. Maybe because I know that I like it already. But this time they didn’t have my favorite potato bacon soup so I’ve decided to go with beef barley soup.
Yum! It was very good. When I came home I already new that I will be making this soup at home. I just made my own way. To the addition of the barley I added some brown rice. Carrots are always in my home so I knew they will be in beef barley soup as well.
Soups are often seen in my home. They are delicious and healthy. I have my own favorite soups like Broccoli Cheddar Soup or Crock Pot Chili. But some my favorite European soups are difficult to make in Canada. I just can’t buy necessary ingredients that are required.
This beef barley soup I made in crock pot. First, I cooked my beef first in the frying pan, then I transferred into the crock pot. The whole process of making this hearty beef barley soup wasn’t long.
Do you like beef barley soup?
Brown Rice Beef Barley Soup
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups diced beef
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 celery stick diced
- half parsnip sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked barley
- Turn crock pot on high. Add 5 cups water.
- In a frying pan melt butter, add beef. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes on medium/low heat.
- Add tomato paste and mix with beef.
- Transfer beef into the crock pot.
- Add carrot, celery, parsnip, frozen peas, thyme, bay leaves. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. After this time add brown rice and barley. Cook another 30 minutes.