Sweet and delicious buttery caramel bars.
I have always loved caramel since I was little. Caramel ice cream, caramel bars, caramel toppings.. everywhere. And I still love it. It is my favorite dessert. When I have to add topping to an ice cream it is hard for me to decide: chocolate or caramel… usually I take both toppings:) Little chocolate, little caramel.
These caramel bars are so yummy with buttery crust and sweet caramel topping between layers.
- 300 ml can sweetened condensed milk we will not use the whole can for this recipe
- 1 cup about 200 g butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
Before making caramel bars (or the day before):
- In the large cooking pan pour water and immerse unopened can with condensed milk, cook for 2,5 hours. Just remember the can has to be covered with water all the time, add more water if necessary. Cool of before opening. This is how we will make caramel.
Preparing caramel bars:
- Mix butter with sugars until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add flour, one cup at the time and mix, knead if it will be necessary to make a smooth ball.
- Spray round 9" pan with butter. Feel free to use other types of pans, like square ones.
- Lay nicely 3/4 of the dough on the bottom of the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes. The remaining dough put in the fridge.
- After 20 minutes of baking, remove the pan from oven, spread caramel (about 3/4 cup) on top of the baked dough. Shred the remaining dough from the fridge and put nicely on the caramel layer. Bake another 25 minutes.