Perfect for feeding the crowd bacon pizza with kale, mushrooms and shallots.
Are you planning anything special for Labor Weekend? It’s the last long summer weekend. The pool will be closed for the summer. I always liked Labor weekend. This weekend is also special for me. My oldest son was born a day just before this weekend 10 years ago.
To celebrate his birthday we had an ice cream and we went for lunch to Panera Bread. My son’s favorite restaurant. Did you know that Panera is going to be a clean eating restaurant. At least here in Canada. I saw a sign at the door the other day. No chemicals will be used in food. That’s great. I am happy that my son likes this restaurant and not the fast food chains.
I’m a party food blogger mainly but I cook everything from scratch. I read labels when I’m buying something. I buy lots of organic ingredients, not everything. I can’t afford that.
However, let’s get back to my kale and bacon pizza. My children love pizza. This is their favorite food. Oh well, what can I do –> I buy sometimes. However, the best option for me is to make it from scratch rather than buying the ready to go pizza. I know what ingredients I am using. I can also substitute some flours. Like in this bacon pizza. I used whole wheat flour + all-purpose flour.
To make the dough it’s not difficult. I like working with yeast. So don’t be scared. It is easy.
Easy! Just put ingredients to the food processor and mix. Then, wait 1 hour, so your dough will grow.
Our favorite pizza is bacon pizza. I also love different variety of veggies on my pizza. Today, I had a kale in my fridge, so I thought it will be perfect idea to add it to our pizza. Mushrooms are a must for my pizza.
Kale and Bacon Pizza
- 1 envelope 1/4 oz. dry active yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2/3 cup water warm
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp. pizza sauce from can
- 1 cup kale chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shallots diced
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese mozzarella, colby jack etc.
- Place the yeast, salt, sugar and water in the bowl of ninja processor or stand mixer. Use the dough blade and blend for 15 seconds.
- Add oil and all-purpose flour and blend. Add whole wheat flour and blend until the dough will be smooth.
- Oil the bowl and transfer the dough to this bowl. Cover and leave it on the counter top for 1 hour. The dough should double its size.
- Place bacon on the heated pan, cook on low heat until bacon is crispy. Cut into small pieces.
- After 1 hour preheat oven to 450 F. Take the dough and place on the baking sheet with parchment paper, spread nicely. It depends how thick you want your pizza. Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Spread pizza sauce on the pizza dough, add kale, mushrooms, shallots, bacon and cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.