Apple crumble bars made with brown sugar apples and meringue layers. Topped with buttery crumble topping. A perfect dessert not only for Autumn!
Get ready to fall in love with autumn flavors…cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, apples and more. I am always looking forward to this season. The weather is getting colder and I spend more time in my kitchen.
How about you? Do you like Autumn?
Yesterday, I baked yummy mini donuts with butternut squash. My children said… WOW they are good. I am so happy when I can sneak some veggies in my baking goods and they don’t even realize it. But still love them. My butternut squash mini donuts will be posted next week on the blog. So be sure to come back and check the recipe!
I ate lots of apples when I was a child. When I was growing up in my lovely Poland it was the time when nothing was in the stores. Honestly, I couldn’t stand apple in my lunchbox everyday. I wanted to try different fruits, for example banana. However, apples are very popular in Poland and we have lots of apple farms. It is our local food. Apple pie or apple bars are very well known to me. Even when I was in Poland this summer, my mom made apple cake almost every week.
The apple crumble bars that I am posting today consists 3 layers: the buttery bottom part, apple layer and meringue. All is topped with crumbly topping that I love. These bars are perfectly sweeten. I tend to make desserts less sweet than it is supposed to be. It is because I want to taste the flavor and not only sugar! So if you will ever make any dessert from my blog…. you’ll see they are perfectly balanced.
Would you like to see more? Follow me: FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, GOOGLE+, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, or SUBSCRIBE to receive recipes and party themes in your inbox!
Meringue Apple Crumble Bars
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter unsalted
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 6 large apples peeled & diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Grind walnuts in the food processor.
- I a large bowl combine walnuts, flour, baking powder, powdered sugar and cinnamon. Mix together. Add egg yolks. Cut butter into small pieces or shred them. Add to the flour. Combine all ingredients well. Form a ball. Cover with foil. Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a large pan melt 4 Tbsp. butter, add apples and cook on low-medium heat for 10 minutes. When apples will be soft add cinnamon and brown sugar. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 13 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites until soft peak, add sugar gradually (about 3 times). Mix ingredients well. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut about 3/4 dough. Leave the rest for the top.
- Spread 3/4 dough on the bottom of the baking pan nicely. Add apples.
- Add egg whites.
- In the end shred the remaining dough and spread on the top of the apples.
- Bake for about 50 minutes.
If you like Meringue Apple Crumble Bars check…
Strawberry Chocolate Meringue Cake
Cinnamon Caramel Apple Bars
Georgina Ingham | Culinary Travels
I am loving the sound of these. Beautiful flavours, perfectly suited to autumn.
Thank you Georgina!
Pinned this recipe..very nice & easy..
Thanks for pinning!
These look and sound amazing. Autumn baking, here we come! Thanks for the beautiful shots & recipe!
Thank you for your nice comment Platter Talk!
Amy Katz from Veggies Save The Day
These bars look delicious! I’m all about apples right now.
Me too Amy!
I love the meringue topping on these bars! What a new and different idea. These would make such a perfect fall dessert. I can’t wait to bake up a batch. And those butternut squash donuts sounds delish too 🙂
Sarah @ Champagne Tastes
the husband is always begging for apple crumble anything.. and add a meringue?! how delicious!!!
Looks amazingly delicious. Wish I could grab one right now!
Wow Looks great bars. My nephews gonna love it. I gonna make it this weekend !
I hope you’ll like it!
Garlic + Zest
I love apples too – and this dessert looks decadent!
Autumn is my favorite time of year for baking!
I have been doing so many fun things with apples lately, but now I am going to have to try this!
It looks beautiful and delicious!
Thank you so much! Autumn is my favorite season for baking too:)
Love this recipe and walnuts in the bottom layer. Apples and nuts is an amazing combination. I make a similar cake with strawberries (must be European thing). Also shortbread at the bottom, fruit, meringue, and then grated dough on top. I’ll definitely try your version!
Your version sounds amazing Julia! I need to try it:)