Paczki are associated with Fat Thursday. It is a traditional Christian feast just before Lent. On the last Thursday of the carnival Christians eat paczki, because the next time of feast will be on Easter time. I grew up in Poland and Fat Thursday is very well known for me. I remember times when I went to the store to pick up the best doughnuts in town. There are many varieties of them, for example: with jam, pudding, with glaze or without. Any kind to choose from:)
These doughnuts are a little different, because they are baked while original paczki are fried. These were delicious also. They are the best on the first day, the next day they become a little dry, but still good. Therefore, I suggest to eat them quickly:) The glaze adds lots of sweetness to them.
Paczki (Baked Doughnuts)
- 100 ml warm milk
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 2/3 cup + 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup jam any flavor
- 9 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Flour to dust
- 1 egg
- Mix active dry yeast with warm milk, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon flour. Cover with cloth and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar and salt. Put active yeast that we just made. Add egg one at a time and mix it with wooden spatula. Knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes
- Add butter gradually and knead by hand for 10 minutes. The dough needs to be smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with cloth and leave it for 1 hour, the dough has to grow.
- After 1 hour take out the dough and shape a square for about 1/2 inch high. Dust with flour if needed.
- Cut circles with cutter or glass (diameter 3.5"). Put jam into each circle and close, shape a ball.
- Put each ball onto paper liner and leave it for 20 minutes. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 350F for about 13-17 minutes. Let it cool for 10 minutes and then decorate.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan, add milk, vanilla extract and sugar. Combine all ingredients on a small heat.