Danish popular smorrebrod sandwiches with different savory toppings. Easy to prepare, easy to make. Also, perfect as appetizer for any party.
A perfect national Scandinavian sandwich. Moreover, made with so many toppings, for instance cold cuts, fish and veggies. Also, great for parties, lunch or breakfast.
Smorrebrod Recipe Facts
Texture: crunchy or soft since each sandwich is different.
Taste: savory, meaty, fishy and flavorful.
Simplicity: easy to prepare.
Meal Type: breakfast, lunch and appetizer. Great for parties.
What is a Smorrebrod
It is an open faced sandwich that is very popular in Denmark. Each sandwich usually consists of deli meat, pate, cheese or fish. Also, they are usually topped with pickles, pickled beets, garden cress or other garnishes. Mainly served on a dense dark buttered rye bread. In addition, it is very popular national Scandinavian dish.
Types of Smorrebrod Sandwiches
- Leverpostej: a sandwich topped with liver pate, sauteed mushrooms and crumbles of bacon.
- Eel: smoked eel with scrambled eggs and radishes.
- Pork Meat Roll: cold cuts pork meat with sliced red onion and any garden cress.
- Roast Beef: slices of roast beef with horseradish and pickle.
- Salmon: slices of smoked salmon with lemon and freshly chopped dill.
- Egg: sliced egg and radishes topped with chopped green onion.
- Herring: pickled herring (in oil or vinegar) with sliced pickle and pickled beet.
Some Toppings Ideas
- Smoked salmon
- Pickled herring
- Pork meat roll
- Roast beef
- Head cheese
- Liver pate
- Hard boiled egg
- Pickled beet
How to make Smorrebrod
- Firstly, gather all toppings. Including, fish, pate, cold cuts, veggies, pickles, pickled beet, butter and rye bread.
- Secondly, smear butter on each sandwich.
- Thirdly, make 6 different sandwiches with roast beef, pork meat, liver pate, egg, herring and smoked salmon.
- After that, add toppings: radishes, sauteed mushrooms, crumble bacon, lemon, sliced pickles, beets, horseradish and dill.
Smorrebrod Recipe Tips
- To make the most traditional Scandinavian open faced sandwich choose the dense dark rye bread. Therefore, in Canada and USA it is easily found in any European store.
- Moreover, instead of butter you can put cream cheese or mayonnaise on the rye bread.
- Also, any pickled herring will be perfect, for instance in oil or in vinegar.
- Instead of watercress you can buy radish micro greens or any other garden cress.
- In addition, if you have trouble finding these ingredients make sure to check any European store. These products are very common in Europe and they are eaten daily. However, I didn’t have trouble buying these products in Canada.
- Read more about these sandwiches here: Saveur and Wikipedia.
Smorrebrod Sandwich Faq’s
How do you eat Smorrebrod? These sandwiches are eaten in order. First herring, then meat, after that cheese. But honestly, they can be eaten however you prefer. Also, they can be eaten with fork and knife but not necessarily.
Can I make these sandwiches ahead? Yes, of course. If you keep longer than few hours store them in refrigerator in the covered container.
Are they suitable for parties? Yes, they are perfect for any party! However, there are lots of varieties that you can make.
Other Sandwich Recipes
- 6 slices rye bread
- 3 1/2 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1 hard boiled egg sliced
- 1 radish sliced
- 1 Tbsp. green onion
- 2 Tbsp. liver pate
- 3 mushrooms small, sliced
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 slices pork meat roll
- 2 slices red onion
- 2 Tbsp. watercress or other micro greens
- 3 slices smoked salmon
- 2 slices lemon
- 1 tsp. dill chopped
- 2 slices roast beef
- 1 tsp. horseradish
- 2 pickles sliced
- 2 pickled herrings in vinegar or oil
- 1 slice pickled beet
- 1 tsp. salt optional
- Prepare 6 slices of rye bread. Smear with about 1/2 tsp. butter on each slice.
- First Sandwich: place slices of egg and radish. Top with green onions. Add some salt if required.
- Second Sandwich: smear the bread with liver pate. In a small frying pan melt 1/2 teaspoon butter. Add sliced mushrooms. Cook on low-medium heat for about 5 minutes until cooked. Remove from the pan and add on the top of liver pate. Add bacon strips to the frying pan. Cook on low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and crumble. Add it on top of mushrooms.
- Third Sandwich: put roll meat with slices of red onion and watercress (or other micro green).
- Fourth Sandwich: put slices of salmon, top it with lemon and fresh dill.
- Fifth Sandwich: put roast beef slices, smear horseradish on the beef and top it with sliced pickle.
- Sixth Sandwich: cut herring into small pieces. Put on the sandwich, add sliced pickle and beet.