Homemade Chicken Broth Soup
Homemade chicken broth soup with fresh vegetables, herbs and spices.
Servings: 10 cups
- 16 cups water
- 2 chicken legs
- 1 celery stick diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 parsnip diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup parsley fresh
- 1 onion small or quarter of big
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dehydrated vegetables optional
- 1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast optional
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric optional
Add water and chicken to large pot. Cook it on low heat for 30 minutes. Skim the scum using spoon.
Add celery stick, carrot, parsnip, garlic clove, parsley, onion, bay leaf, salt, dehydrated vegetables, nutritional yeast and turmeric. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes, covered or not covered is fine.
Strain the liquid using strainer.
The meat and vegetables can be eaten, separately. Also, they can be used for other soups.
Store the broth in glass container in the refrigerator.
- Make sure to simmer on low heat, don't cook it quickly, slow is better.
- Skim of the scum and fat quickly as possible from the top of the soup before it will mixes up with the bouillon. This is very important step, you want to make a clean/clear soup. The scum is the protein that comes to the top from cooking the chicken.
- Add veggies, spices and herbs after you remove the scum. It is easier to skim the scum without any ingredients.
- What to do with meat and cooked vegetables? You can eat them separately or use it for soup, for example you can use chicken legs instead of breast in this Taco Chicken Soup recipe, add veggies too. Also, you can chop veggies into small pieces and leave it in the bouillon.
- You don't have to use nutritional yeast, dehydrated vegetables or turmeric, but I do recommend it. It brings the best flavor.
Calories: 79kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 245mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1558IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg