Easy Vegetarian Baked Ziti
Meatless baked ziti in zucchini sauce with marinara and ricotta cheese.
- 2 cups penne pasta not cooked
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion small, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 zucchini small, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 22 oz. marinara sauce 650 ml jar
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tsp. dried basil
Bring a pot with water to boil. Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions, approximately 10 minutes.
Heat large frying pan, add oil and onion, sautee for 3 minutes.
Add garlic and zucchini, salt and Italian seasoning, cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
Add marinara sauce, cook for 2-5 minutes until heat it through.
Add ricotta cheese, mix in.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl combine pasta with sauce. Pour into 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Sautee diced onion before making the sauce, this will bring lots of flavor.
- Also, you can use different pasta shape than penne, however I've noticed bigger shapes are better for this recipe, don't choose small pasta or spaghetti. Penne, rigatoni, farfalle, fussili, ziti etc. are all good to be used.
- You can use any type of marinara sauce: tomato basil, four cheese, vodka, vegetable, roasted garlic etc. Basically, any type of sauce is good for this recipe.
Calories: 354kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 1014mg | Potassium: 716mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 879IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 3mg