Best Swedish Meatballs
Best Ikea-style Swedish meatballs in creamy sauce.
- 2 Tbsp. oil divided
- 1 onion small, chopped
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil on frying pan, add chopped onion, sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft.
In a large bowl combine sautéed onion, ground pork, ground beef, egg, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt and nutmeg. Form small meatballs, about 35-40.
Heat remaining oil on frying pan, cook meatballs until browned for 3-5 minutes on each side, remove from pan, set aside.
Melt butter on large frying pan, add flour, cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking all the time.
Add 2 cups of vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, soy sauce and salt, cook on low-medium heat for 5 minutes until thickens.
Whisk in heavy cream.
Add meatballs, cook for 10 minutes on low-medium heat, mixing sometimes. If the sauce is too thick add remaining 1/4 cup of vegetable stock during cooking.
- You don't have to add mayo, since it is not really used in Ikea style meatball, but it helps to make the texture of the meat softer and I do recommend it.
- If the sauce is to thick to your liking add about 2 tablespoons (or more) vegetable stock. If it's to thin, cook few minutes longer uncovered, so the water will evaporate, mixing often.
- You can use homemade chicken broth for the sauce base.
- What do you serve Swedish meatballs with? You can serve with any grains: barley, rice, quinoa, any type of pasta (rigatoni, spaghetti etc.). However, they are mostly served with mashed potatoes, lingonberry jam or cranberry sauce.
Calories: 487kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 139mg | Sodium: 742mg | Potassium: 367mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 566IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 2mg