Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Bacon
Creamy broccoli cheddar soup with crispy bacon.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose-flour
- 10 cups chicken broth storebought or homemade
- 5 cups broccoli chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 slices bacon
Melt butter in a pot, add flour, cook on low heat for 1 minute, mixing all the time.
Add chicken broth, broccoli, salt and garlic powder. Cook covered on low heat for 25-30 minutes until broccoli will be cooked.
Blend broccoli with immersion blender or pour soup to regular blender.
Add milk and whisk.
Remove from heat, add cheddar cheese whisking all the time until it will dissolve.
Heat frying pan, add bacon, cook on each side for 2-4 minutes until cooked through, crumble the bacon. Once the soup is plated, top it with bacon.
- You don't have to buy chicken broth, make your own! There is a recipe on the website for chicken stock and chicken broth, you can use both for this recipe.
- Blend broccoli with immersion blender or you can also pour soup to large blender.
- Make sure to remove the soup from heat before adding cheddar cheese, this is very important step. If you will keep it on the heat, the cheese will curdle, which doesn't taste or look good. Also, remember to buy good quality cheddar cheese, don't use light.
Calories: 393kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 2059mg | Potassium: 539mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1147IU | Vitamin C: 71mg | Calcium: 488mg | Iron: 2mg