Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Creamy and thick homemade cream of mushroom soup with sauteed onion and whipping cream.
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 7 cups mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth divided, homemade or store bought
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
In a large pot heat oil and melt butter. Add onion and mushrooms, cook on medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes.
Add 4 cups chicken broth, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Heat it through until boils approximately 5-10 minutes, reduce the heat to low.
In a medium bowl combine 1 cup chicken broth, whipping cream and flour, whisk all ingredients until combine. Add it slowly to the mushroom soup whisking all the time. Heat it through until thickens on low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- You can make your own chicken broth instead of buying from the store. It is easy to make it from scratch, you can also control how many spices you would like to add.
- Chop mushrooms into smaller pieces rather than larger, you will get the most flavorful soup.
- Definitely, you should saute mushrooms with onion for about 8-10 minutes, don't skip this step. It makes the dish delicious.
- You can use milk if you don't want to use whipping cream, the soup will be darker in color but still yummy.
- This soup is thick enough, if you would like more thicker liquid add 1 - 2 tablespoons of flour extra.
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 1073mg | Potassium: 681mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 599IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2mg