Key Lime Pie
Baked key lime pie with graham cracker crust and orange flavored whipped cream.
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers crushed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 6 limes
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 orange
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 5 meringue cookies optional
Preheat oven to 325 F.
In a medium bowl combine crushed graham crackers with butter. Press on the bottom of the 9" or 10" pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Scrape the zest from 2 limes. Set aside.
Squeeze all the juice from 6 limes. You need minimum of 3/4 cup of lime juice but no more than 1 cup.
In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Whisk it to combine. Pour into the pan over the graham crackers.
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool off completely for about 3 hours.
Scrape the zest from 1/2 of the orange. Slice this orange and cut into small triangles. Leave triangles for decorations of the pie.
In a large bowl add whipping cream, powdered sugar and orange zest.
Beat the whipping cream until soft peak. Spread nicely on the key lime pie. Decorate with orange triangles and zest from limes.
Store in refrigeration for few hours before cutting.
- For this pie you will need about 6 limes. Scrape the zest from 2 limes before squeezing, therefore you will have some zest for decoration.
- Prepared lime juice from the store can be used instead of fresh limes.
- What to do with egg whites? You can bake Triple Berry Pavlovas or Pear and Chocolate Meringue Nests. You will need 4 egg whites to make these desserts.
- Make sure to cool off the cake completely before adding the whipped cream.
- The pie is best on the next day, when all ingredients will get firm and it becomes easier to cut.
Calories: 594kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 250mg | Potassium: 483mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 61g | Vitamin A: 1043IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 337mg | Iron: 1mg