How to make Chicken Stock
Learn easy steps how to make chicken stock with bones, fresh vegetables and herbs.
- 20 cups water
- 1 carcass or bone parts
- 1 celery root small, peeled
- 1 leek washed
- 1 carrot peeled
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dill fresh bunch
- 1 cup parsley fresh bunch
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
In the large pot pour water, add chicken carcass. Cook on medium to low heat for 1 hour. Remove the scum.
Add celery root, leek, carrot, garlic clove, bay leaf, dill, parsley, thyme sprigs, salt, nutritional yeast, turmeric and garlic powder.
Simmer on low heat covered for 3 hours. Strain bones and veggies. Keep in the fridge in airtight glass container. The recipe makes about 14 cups of stock.
- You can use the raw or the cooked carcass. To get carcass from whole chicken you need to remove legs, chicken breast and wings. The rest you can add it to the soup. What can you do with meat parts? Make my delicious Chicken Buddha Bowl with Avocado Dressing, you can use any parts of chicken for this recipe.
- If you don't have the carcass, use any chicken bones including legs and wings.
- In order to make full of flavor base for soup you need to cook it on low heat for about 4 hours to get all nutrients from the bones.
- You don't have to add nutritional yeast if you don't have them, they are optional but I've noticed the stock has great color and it taste better.
- Add all herbs fresh rather than dried ones.
Calories: 30kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 482mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1468IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg