I have a new obsession lately.. its squash spaghetti. Long time ago every time when I was in store I saw this vegetable but I’ve never managed to buy it. After reading couple clean eating posts on other blogs I thought how good can squash spaghetti be.
I’ve decide to give it a try. I thought “no way” that this yellow vegetable can be better than pasta. I was thinking nothing will substitute pasta. I’m not madly in love in any kind of pasta. However, if I’m thinking about spaghetti … pasta comes to my mind. Anyway one day I went to the store and I bought squash spaghetti. I researched some recipes how to bake it and then I got an idea.
It’s very simple to prepare healthy dinner. First I baked spaghetti squash. In the meantime I prepared ground chicken and sauce. When I finally tried squash spaghetti I was amazed how good it is. I already knew that it’s not my last time eating this large yellow vegetable. I will definitely come back to spaghetti squash. So now I am already planning new recipes in my head.
Squash spaghetti doesn’t have to substitute only pasta. It can be stuffed with many other ingredients, different types of meat or even with Parmesan Broccoli Baked Fish. It can also be prepared totally vegetarian. The possibilities are endless.
I just know that I found new type of vegetable that I totally adore:)
Do you like spaghetti squash? Have you tried it?
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 cups ground chicken
- 1 Tbsp. butter or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce (I used Classico Vodka sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. cheddar cheese
- 5 - 6 grape tomatoes
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and clean all the seeds. Smear the inside of the squash with oil. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes with skin facing up. The spaghetti squash is ready when the flesh becomes tender. Fluff with fork.
- In the meantime, melt butter in the pan, add ground chicken and cook for about 15 - 20 minutes on medium to low heat. When chicken is ready add garlic powder and spaghetti sauce. Add salt and pepper if you prefer.
- When spaghetti squash is ready stuff with chicken/sauce, add some cheddar cheese and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes. When cheese will melt the dinner is ready.
- Add some grape tomatoes on top of the squash.