Full of vegetables vegetarian cabbage soup perfect for cold winter months. Hearty, very satisfying and delicious hot soup topped with fresh carrots. Just healthy ingredients and nothing else. What else would you want?
Growing up in Europe I ate lots of borscht soup and cabbage soup. From my childhood I remember the smell around the house. Sometimes we made a soup from sauerkraut and it was very good. The other version of this soup is to make it from cabbage. This is how I did it. I used small cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onion and parsley. To keep it vegetarian I did not use any chicken stock, just plain water.
Before I will tell you more about vegetarian cabbage soup I wanted to let you know that this recipe makes a lot of soup. However, it is perfectly freezable. You can simply divide into couple servings and freeze it. To thaw… the soup can be left overnight in the fridge or it can be cooked frozen in the pot on low heat. Either way is fine.
If you prefer to make it with chicken stock.. go ahead! Or even couple bacon slices can be added to give a little flavor. I wanted to make it strictly vegetarian, I used a little butter that is all. Sometimes I like to make chicken based stock soups but sometimes I like it with different kind of vegetables.
Did you eat cabbage soup before? What do you think? Do you like it or do you prefer other type of soup?
Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
- 14 - 15 cups water
- 1 small white cabbage
- 1 celery stick
- 3 large potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 small onion
- 3 Tbsp. chopped parsley fresh or dried
- 1 5.5 oz tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a a large pot bring water to boil.
- Wash the cabbage and remove the core from the inside. Cut cabbage in half and first slice; then dice.
- Put into the water and cook for 1 hour on medium heat. Until the cabbage will become softer.
- Peel and dice potatoes, slice carrots and celery. Add it to the soup.
- Peel the onion, cut in half and add it to the soup.
- Cook for another 30 minutes, until all vegetables will become soft.
- Add salt and pepper.
- In the frying pan melt butter and cook tomato paste on low heat for 2 - 3minutes. Add it to the soup. Mix very well and cook for couple minutes.
- Add parsley.