Soft chocolaty easy pumpkin bars recipe swirled with brownies are perfect for the brunch, Thanksgiving or fall party. Made with canned pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg.
While we have pumpkins, squashes, apples and pears in season I like to prepare something new and yummy at home. Fall is one of the bests seasons I bake or cook. Because it is colder outside and I spend more time at home. Anyway, I didn’t want to just bake regular pumpkin bars, I wanted them to be different. Therefore, I added brownie chocolate batter and they came out perfect. They are very quick to make and they bake fast in about 20 -25 minutes.
How to make Pumpkin Bars
To make pumpkin squares first brownie mixture needs to be prepared from ingredients like unsalted butter, chocolate chips, eggs, sugar, vanilla and flour. Secondly, the pumpkin batter needs to be prepared by combining butter with sugar and eggs. Add pumpkin puree from the can or use fresh if you have some. Add greek yogurt and mix. Then add dry ingredients flour, baking powder cinnamon and nutmeg.
Tips to make Brownie Pumpkin Bars
- It is crucial to make 2 batters separately for brownies and for pumpkin squares.
- Before adding eggs to the batter cool of the melted chocolate and butter for few minutes. Don’t add eggs to the hot mixture.
- It is best to keep all ingredients at the home temperature before making the pumpkin bars. Especially butter and eggs. If the eggs are straight from the fridge immerse them into warm water for 5 minutes.
- Use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Don’t over bake because pumpkin squares will become dry.
Brownie Pumpkin Bars
Easy pumpkin bars swirled with chocolate brownies.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- To prepare brownies: Melt butter, add chocolate chips. Mix well. Cool of for 5 minutes. Add eggs, sugar and vanilla. Combine well. Add flour and mix with spoon or spatula.
- To prepare pumpkin: In a medium bowl add butter and sugar and mix until fluffy with electric mixer. Add egg and mix. Add pumpkin puree and greek yogurt. Combine the batter well. Add dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix with electric mixer until well combined.
- In a 9 x 9 baking pan, make a dollops of the brownie batter, do the same with pumpkin batter. With knife swirl the batters so they will combine a little.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
Any other sugar can be used instead of cane sugar.