Kid-friendly moist mini coconut donuts recipe made with butternut squash and drizzled with chocolate. A perfect recipe for brunch or breakfast!
I am so happy to post my new recipe today! First of all, I totally love baking in the Fall. Second of all, I love baking with veggies. Why do we even use veggies like zucchini, pumpkin, squash etc.. in our baking goods?
In my opinion each veggie adds moisture to the cake, donuts or breads. Also, it adds incredible taste that everyone loves. Even children like them and they don’t realize what’s inside.
Last year I posted Sweet Potato Baked Mini Donuts that are moist and delicious. And I didn’t make them only once, I make them all year long. My children loves them so much! So I knew that my butternut squash coconut donuts will win in my house.
The butternut squash is a new veggie to me. I didn’t grew up eating it and I didn’t even know how it taste. However, when the autumn came and the butternut squash showed up in the store I was very eager to try. I found some recipe for pasta with butternut squash sauce and I cooked it for the first time. I can honestly say I loved that! However, my children not so much. This week I picked another butternut squash and I will be making soup. YUM!
So after giving my children butternut squash sauce with pasta for dinner and realizing they don’t like it. I had to come up with another idea so they will eat this veggie. This way I came up with this butternut squash coconut donuts and they loved it!
They didn’t even know they are eating butternut squash. Who wouldn’t love these mini coconut donuts packed with veggie and drizzled with chocolate?
Butternut Squash Coconut Donuts
- 3/4 all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butternut squash diced & cooked
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare mini donut pan. Spray with oil. (I used Misto)
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a powerful blender mix egg, butternut squash, melted butter, avocado oil, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add sugar and mix well with a spoon.
- Add dry ingredients and mix with spoon or spatula until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Put the batter into the bag, make a small hole on the corner. Push gently the batter into the baking pan and form mini donuts.
- Bake for 10 - 13 minutes.
- Drizzle with chocolate and add coconut to each mini donut.
If you like Butternut Squash Coconut Donuts don’t forget to check…