Easy greek yogurt cinnamon coffee cake muffins recipe topped with brown sugar streusel topping. They are perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Soft and flavorful coffee cake muffins made with greek yogurt. Topped with streusel topping and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Therefore, one of the best muffins you can make for brunch. The greek yogurt muffins are sweeten enough with brown sugar. Also, they are topped with lemon glaze. Do you know why they are called coffee cake muffins? The result is they are served alongside with coffee. However, no coffee is used in the recipe.
How to make Coffee Cake Muffins
Firstly, gather ingredients for the cinnamon coffee cake muffins. All purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, brown sugar, eggs, coconut oil and greek yogurt. Secondly, mix flour with baking powder and cinnamon. Furthermore, whisk eggs with brown sugar. Add coconut oil and greek yogurt. Finally, combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients. In addition, prepare the streusel coffee cake.
How to make Streusel Topping
First of all, get all ingredients for the streusel. All purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and unsalted butter. Second of all, combine all ingredients well. Top muffins with streusel topping. Finally, bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
Tips to make Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Make sure to whisk eggs with brown sugar well. Therefore, the brown sugar will soften.
- You don’t need mixer to make these coffee cake muffins. However, use whisk and spatula.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. After that, combine ingredients with spatula.
- I used 2% plain greek yogurt to make these cinnamon muffins.
- The glaze is optional. Therefore, you can make it by mixing powdered sugar with water and lemon juice.
Other Muffin Recipes:
*As of today March 15th, 2018 the recipe is updated to make more soft and moister texture. From 2tsp. of baking powder updated to 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder, from 1tsp cinnamon to 2 tsp. cinnamon, from 1/2 cup brown sugar to 3/4 brown sugar, from 1/3 coconut oil to 1/2 coconut oil and from 3/4 cup greek yogurt to 1 cup greek yogurt. As a result, this updated recipe is better than previous.
Greek Yogurt Cinnamon Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 9 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. water
- 1/8 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare muffin tin with 12 liners. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another large medium bowl whisk eggs with brown sugar. Add melted coconut oil and greek yogurt. Combine well.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients. Combine well. Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin liners.
- In a small bowl combine ingredients for the streusel: flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Add crumb topping on top. Press gently onto the batter.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick will come out clean. Remove from oven and cool off on wire rack.
- The glaze is optional. Mix powdered sugar with water and lemon juice. Add more powdered sugar or water when needed. Glaze the muffins.