The Best way to sneak sweet potato in these baked mini donuts with homemade caramel icing.
I am in a sweet potato mood lately. While we don’t really eat sweet potato for dinner I love this type of veggie in baked goods. The most important fact is that my children –> especially younger son <— eat vegetables. I don’t have really problems with my older son. He eats all veggies. But my younger son is very picky with vegetables.
That’s why I have to sneak here and there:) These baked mini donuts I made twice this week. They were so good and they were eaten very quickly. I didn’t have a chance to make a picture so I had to bake them second time and share it here on the blog. Donuts are baked instead fried and still they are soft and moist enough. Drizzled with yummy homemade caramel icing.
Any mini donuts are perfect for any party. Think about Halloween or Thanksgiving Party. If you are planning any party this Fall make these baked mini donuts. Everybody will love them. Small enough for little hands. They are soft, cakey and very simple to make.
They are perfect for lunchbox. And sometimes my sons will take them instead of a sandwich. They are getting bored quickly with sandwiches.
I hope you’ll like them as much as we do. And sweet potato will be seen often on my blog. I just like baking with sweet potato. It adds moistness and great flavor to the baked goods.
Sweet Potato Baked Mini Donuts
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. + 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sweet potato cooked & mashed
- 2 Tbsp. butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp. buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare mini donut pan. Spray with oil.
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix egg, egg yolk, sweet potato, melted butter, oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Or you can also blend in the blender so the mixture will be more smooth.
- Add sugar and mix well with a spoon.
- Add dry ingredients and mix with spoon or spatula until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Put the batter into the bag, make a small hole on the corner. Push gently the batter into the baking pan and form mini donuts.
- Bake for 10 - 13 minutes.
- Melt butter in the saucepan, add brown sugar and cook on low heat for 2 minutes. Add milk and cook for few minutes on low heat. Mixing all the time. Add confectioners sugar and mix all the time. Cook on low heat for 1 -2 minute. Check the icing, if it's to grainy add a little milk, or if it's to watery add more confectioners sugar. Whisk until all is dissolved well.